Saturday, May 11, 2013
This doll almost killed me, there was so much to it. I had a friend challenge me to make it and I tried to ignore her, but it was too fun sounding to push it from my mind.
I had to embroider four patches, two big and two small, which I glued to his chest, back, and shoulders. I'm pretty sure I almost went blind making those things. I also had to figure out how to give him a square belt. My eventual epiphany about that was to use two paper clips and sew the felt around it to give it the structure it needed. I thought that I was pretty clever to think of that.
The hardest part was definitely the hat though. I have made two hats in the past, a fez and a fedora, and those were nothing compared to this. The hat here is actually the second one I made because the first was bad, like really bad. This one still isn't perfect, but at least it looks like a crown unlike the first monstrosity that I made. It was a challenge to make that rope effect with the felt.
Overall I am freaking proud as heck about this thing. It isn't perfect, but I am proud that I accomplished this.