Wednesday, July 23, 2014

K-Pop Rookies in July

Okay, so maybe that title is a little misleading because one of the groups is actually from June, that's just the way it's going to be though! I don't know what was in the water this month, but there have been some debuts that made me sit up and pay attention. Usually, when I hear a new group, I listen to the song once and if they put out a song in the future maybe I'll be excited to listen to it and get into them more as they figure out who they are as a group. These next groups though, I have actually listened to their songs multiple times on repeat and I bought one of their albums. I don't know what happening to me, I am usually unswayed by the babies!



BIGFLO - Delilah


BIGFLO is our June debut-y (the 22nd) and they are a five member hip hop group and according to the internet they are between the ages 27 and 21 and their leader used to be a member of the group N-Train who I only know by name, and even then just barely. 

I watched their teaser for some reason - I'm not really a teaser person - and was really excited about their debut, and while the music video wasn't as great as I thought it would be, I really liked the song. They have definitely got kind of a Block B type of sound going on and we all know that I love Block B so I am interested to see where they go with their music career. 

This is also the group that I bought the album for and it is really good. My favorite song is called "Fly" and I think that it is better than their debut song, you should go listen to it. 

Legend - Left Out


Legend is a five member boy group and they debuted on July 8 with this song and according to the Youtube comments section they are between the ages 25 and 20 and they trained for 4 years, not too shabby. When I first heard this song, and still now, the only way I can think to describe it is a boy group song. I know that sounds really lame, but it isn't hip hop (as so many groups go for) and they aren't a band, but it's not electric and synthy, it's just a really good pop song.

Something else that I learned from the comments is that the piano back track is the exact same track used in the Nicki Minaj song "Hold Yah" and it totally is. I assume that they bought it though since things aren't going down in the music world. I like it better in this song because it sounds more layered and I think that it just fits better into this genre than in the hip hop sound of the other.

Ye-A - Up and Down


Ye-A is the last group that I want to talk about and they are fresh out of the woodwork, debuting just last Wednesday and their ages range from 23-18. Even though all of these groups are full of pretty fresh faces, I like that they are all slightly older than your average debut group. When people debut and they are from the 97 line or younger, it makes me feel old. I don't like it because I'm not old! Something else that I learned from the internet is that this group has two girls from other groups and one soloist so they already have a grasp on what they are doing.

 This music video makes me think of GG's "I Got and Boy" and Rainbow's "Sunshine" and I also though about Ladies Code "Pretty Pretty" a few times. I think that is was just because the set was so colorful and some of the dance moves. I don't think that that is a bad thing because the song is definitely their own. They have a cute yet powerful image and the song is a little funky, that sounds like a recipe for success to me.

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment