Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hogu's Love First Impressions


Choi Woo Shik may be one of the cutest people ever, End of story, end of post, let's go home.

But seriously, I was pretty excited when I heard about this drama because of the before mentioned Choi Woo Shik, it's a tvN romcom, and the writer of this drama also wrote Flower Boy Ramyun Shop which is one of my top dramas. I'm hoping that all these things can make this drama as wonderful as I hope that it will be.



After watching the first two episodes though, I am a little surprised because the story has definitely gone somewhere that I was not expecting. The information that I had before I watched episode one was this: Choi Woo Shik plays a looser named Hogu which means "fool" in Korea. What kind of parents do that to their child? Anyways, he meets his high school crush Do Do Hee played by UEE who is a star swimmer and kind of a jerk. They meet and things happen, blah, blah, blah, there you go, But wait there's more! At the close of the first episode we find out that Do Hee is pregnant and she is contemplating abortion. Whoa, this just got dark. I came here for sparkles and happiness!


Do Hee and Hogu go to the beach and in her distress she drinks two capfuls of soju but because she says that she doesn't have any friends, she has never had a drink before and gets totally smashed from those two sips. I might have been yelling at my computer about fetal alcohol syndrome while she was sipping. I guess that is what she was going for though. In her drunken ramblings she cries about "this thing inside me" and getting surgery and poor simple Hogu thinks that she is talking about getting a constipation problem fixed. She decides to not go through with the surgery (not surprised) and Hogu meets her and her belly on the subway a few months after their trip to the beach.

Aside from the unexpected pregnancy, this drama is full of the cuteness that I expected to come from this drama. Choi Soo Shik is perfect as the innocent Hogu. He seems a lot like the everyman instead of the Prince Charmings that are normally written into a story. Hogu has awkward friends who give him bad advice and a mother than makes fun of him and a father that is a doormat. Our main couple's traditional roles have been reversed and it will be interesting to see how that plays out with the simple Hogu and our broken, seemingly unemotional Do Hee.


I am interested to see where the writer goes with her story lines Single mothers are not treated well in Korea and there isn't a lot of help for them either. Maybe this drama can do bring attention to the single mother community like It's Okay, That's Love did for the the mental health community. Be delicate Ms. Writer!

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment