Saturday, November 1, 2014

Zhou Mi Rewind MV Review


The moment is finally here. The Gentleman Mimi has at long last put out a solo album. I could cry I'm so happy about this. When the teasers came out and there was all the speculation, I didn't really care who it was, but I knew that it had to be someone in an existing group, why else would they hide his face? I also knew that it wasn't going to be Kyuhyun like some people though because Kyuhyun is the TOP of Super Junior, he doesn't take his shirt off.



I am so happy about Zhou Mi being the mystery soloist though because he is crazy talented and he is my favorite member if Super Junior M. I think that it also makes sense that they would choose Zhou Mi since the last person to have a solo album was Henry. The Super Junior M boys are finally getting the recognition they deserve! I was also really surprised with his choice to debut with this R&B style song, I totally thought that it was going to be a ballad and I don't think I am alone in thinking that.

I was not disappointed with this song though! Sometimes I get really hyped about a teaser but when the actual song drops it does not reach the majesty that I created in my head. That is something that I both like and don't like about teasers. They of course choose the best part of the song which leaves us wanting more, but there isn't anything more to give when the song drops. I though that this song was solid from beginning to end and the raps were also quite good.


With Henry and now Zhou Mi I kind of wonder why SM didn't let them debut on their own, but at the same time, I think I have an answer. Henry and Zhou Mi had a rocky start in Super Junior and there are still lame people who refuse to accept them. by putting Kyuhyun and Taemin in Henry's video and Tao and Chanyeol in Zhou Mi's video they get more views from different fandoms so in a marketing sense, it is a brilliant idea. Especially now since EXO is both in high demand and they are also going through a rough patch. It allows them to still be in the spotlight but not as a group. Next time Zhou Mi will probably be alone since that is what happened with Henry.

Chanyeol and Tao are also, in my opinion, the best rappers in EXO. I think that I heard that Tao wrote his own lyrics but I don't know about Chanyeol. I don't know if this is true, but I hope it is because I think Tao does write lyrics? Am I totally wrong? I have no idea. They both have a pretty good flow and they are going to continue getting better which is always fun to watch. As for which I liked better, I think that Tao's version is better. I liked the sound of his rap more that Chayeol's. To me, Tao's sounded smoother than Chanyeol's.

As for the video............

Not as amazing, let's just say that.

I'm not sure what they were trying to get at. I know that it was about a guy who wants to rewind parts in his relationship that were bad. But all the overdone sad shots of him in the bedroom were kind of annoying and weird. I would have much rather this have been a simple dancing in a box set video.

The dance was totally good enough to just stand on it's own too! I'm excited to watch the live stage so I can see the whole thing. I'm always a little mesmerized when I watch Zhou Mi dance because he is so skinny. He's obviously not an unhealthy either, he's just one of those guys whose figure was modeled after a bean pole. A very sexy bean pole though.


The outfits were all pretty nice too. For the most part, they looked like things that I might see in some of the areas around Seoul. Now, I say 'for the most part' because what the heck is this outfit?


It looks like SM went on a JYP raid and stole Nichkhun's outfit from the "Go Crazy" video and decided that no one would notice if they put a white blazer over top. This outfit needs to go. I have spoken. Also, why do we always need cars in music videos? What purpose do they serve? Why does Zhou Mi, or anyone really, need to pose dramatically in front of cars?

While we're on the topic of strange clothes, why does it say "white" across Tao's crotch? The placement is so weird and the word is such an odd word choice. Maybe it's the name of the brand? Whatever it is, it's weird. That can also go in the fire with the purplely red flower suit.

Overall, overlooking the music video and some outfits, this was a super solid debut. The music video doesn't even really matter, I would rather have a good song and a questionable video than the other way around if I have to choose one or the other. In the next few days I will be posting a review of the mini album so keep you eyes peeled for that! I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween!

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment