Saturday, October 25, 2014

Liar Game - First Impressions


In a word: obsessed. The first two episodes of this drama were amazing and I need the next episode now. I wasn't even going to watch this, but then I read the Drama Beans recap and I knew that it had to happen. 

I knew even less about Liar Game than I did about Modern Farmer but a little research told me that this was originally a very popular Japanese manga that has a live TV adaptation, a sequel, and two live action movies. I take that people really like this story then. That is all I looked into though. I don't want to know what happens because that could ruin this experience. When I watched To the Beautiful You, I was a little grumpy about the drama because the manga Hana Kimi is one of my favorite mangas and I didn't think the adaptation was that great. Maybe after the drama is done I will read the Liar Game manga. We'll see. 


From what I have gathered from the first two episodes, our story follows Nam Da Jung played by Kim So Eun who I haven't seen in anything since Boys Over Flowers. I am watching her We Got Married season with Song Jae Rim which has been super fun to watch. Anyways, Da Jung is a naive good girl who lives a hard life because of the debt her father left her with. Luckily her debt collector Dal Goo (Jo Jae Yun) is pretty chill and seems to generally care about her.  

Da Jung is chosen to appear on a reality TV show called Liar Game. In the beginning it has 40 people who are paired up, each person has $500,000 and in a week, one person must use any means necessary to take the other person's money, whoever has all the money at the end of the week wins and moves on to the next round.


 Then, we have our other two characters, Cha Woo Jin (Lee Sang Yoon) and Kang Do Young (Shin Sung Rok). Woo Jin has just been released from a year in prison for a murder charge, but the case was dropped and Do Young is the MC of the Liar Game show. Both of the characters are so interesting because they seem to have so many layers between the two of them.

When Woo Jin is released from prison he is tracked down by Da Jung and Jae Yun to help her with the game. He doesn't want to at first, but he reluctantly agrees for half her winnings. After Da Jung wins, he takes the winnings and then proceeds to give them to Do Young as her contract cancellation fee to get her out of the game. Who does that for a stranger? Especially Woo Jin because he seems like such a jaded calculating guy.

Do Young is on the complete other side of the spectrum, he also seems cold and calculating, but I don't think we have any idea just how deep that goes. He seems to know everything about everyone and uses that to his advantage. He just generally gives me the creeps much like his character in My Love From Another Star did. Sung Rok is just so good at being creepy! It's awesome!


Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this drama is only going to have 10 episodes. I'm hopping that means since they have such good source material and a small time limit for error, this drama will be good from beginning to end.

~ Alora

No comments:

Post a Comment